At the beginning of our era, a natural thermal spring located at the foot of Tête de Fer , a soil fold separating Santenay from Cheilly on the south-western side, shed through a beautiful ‘nymphée’ fountain. Starting with the 3rd century these installations were no longer employed.
From the beginning of the 17th century, the waters from this spring, also called the Fontaine Salée (Salted Fountain) were being used again.
In 1864 its curative properties were recognized, thus from 1890 onward the spring attracted numerous cure and leisure enthusiasts every season.
The spring’s lucrative exploitation led to the appearance of competitive companies, which started to drill artesian fountains upstream. As a result, three more springs emerged: Source Lithium (in 1893), Source Carnot (in 1895) and Source Santana (in 1906).
In 1903 the newly opened Grand Hôtel des Bains exploiting Carnot Source’s waters proved to be malfunctioning, despite its revitalization efforts undertaken in 1909.
The springs continued to exist, whereas their owners made use of the laxative qualities of the waters and started to bottle and sell this water. The two world wars led to their deterioration.
In 1956, Santenay’ s municipality bought the four springs for the purpose of resetting a hydrothermal health resort. The ancient Gallo-Roman fountain was abandoned and, from 1970 onward, the only springs that supplied the new thermal resort and the hotel were the Carnot and the Lithium Sources.
In 1995, due to the defectiveness of the administrating company, the resort was closed.
In 1999 Santenay’ s municipality took over the business and drilled again the two springs: Santana and Lithium.
After a successful testing period the two springs started to supply a new thermal resort.